August 24, 2004

Roll was being called. I was casually doodling in my notebook's margins while simultaneously checking out the tall blonde sitting across the classroom when it happened. D----- H------ the teacher called out. "Here." His very distinctive voice rang back. My neck snapped back to the apex of the horseshoe we were seated in and there he was, wallowing in the destruction of my newfound happiness.

I had heard that he was here. I had heard that he'd quit the Art Institute. Really, I hardly even knew him when I knew him. But he remembers just as well as I do that horrible time in both our lives. He remembers the things they did. I didn't think we'd ever run into one another, yet there he was. Our eyes met. For a second he broke our gaze, his eyes sad. The he looked back up and mouthed "I'm so sorry" across the room.

After class was over we sort of gravitated towards one another in the middle of the room. The room emptied. We made our apologies to one another. We exchanged some pertinent information in hushed tones. The TA teaching the class kept glancing at us, obviously curious. When we parted ways he touched my arm lightly and said "I hope this won't be too awkward for you, I want things to be ok with us, really this isn't our problem."

As I walked out of the building suppressing the urge to throw up I dialed E's phone number thinking "No this is our problem."

DH is the boyfriend of the girl E broke up with me for two years ago (We'll call her L). It was devastating when it happened. She was everything I wasn't and it made me so insecure that I almost lost my mind for months. L and DH got together soon after E and I got back together. Unfortunately DH and I got to spend the three months that E and I spent "back together" watching L and E flirt and and lovesick over one another during several double dates and attempts to "all get along". Turns out they confessed they still had feelings for one another while drunk one night. I broke up with E and L and DH stayed together and worked things out. Now DH and I have this class together. It also turns out that E has been calling L on a pretty consistent basis for the past year. Something he totally forgot to mention to me. Something I can't handle.

I called him. I told him what DH had told me. We discussed. In the end, it was the end. For good. Which is too bad. I guess there was just too much past for either one of us to get over right now.

On top of it all I locked myself out of the house. When I finally got in I directly changed into pj's and ordered a pizza.

Today is not the day I thought it would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home