March 04, 2005

Sometimes being pretty is a real pain-in-the-ass.

No really. I don't mean to sound conceited, or maybe it's just that I don’t really care if I do. But there's something that's been bothering me a lot lately... Most of the time I don't dress up much. To go to the bar, or out with friends, of course. But I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. So most of the time when I hit the grocery store, or even the mall I look pretty ratty. Last night I wanted to cook D a nice dinner. He just got a promotion at work and I'm really proud of him (of course). So I decked myself out hair blown out, short skirt, knee-high boots, push-up bra, sexy smoke eyes. Just the way he likes it. Trouble was I had to run by the grocery store and the wine shop before I got to his place. Not exactly a "running errands" get-up. Not that I looked slutty. I didn't even have a low cut shirt on, and my skirt wasn't THAT short. I just don't feel comfy running errands in an outfit I know is going to get me fucked later.

I get to the grocery store, and I'm determined to get out in less than twenty minutes. Which wouldn't be too hard, I knew exactly what I wanted and where it was. I headed straight for the green beans. I passed three high-school aged boys whose heads whipped around faster than greased lighting to catch the coming and going view. I smiled sweetly at them as they loudly discussed the size of my breasts. No time to sneer or scold. The guy stocking produce stopped to stare at me while I tried to figure out if I'd rather have normal green beans or pay the extra for the organic (I went with normal). I tried to act like I didn't notice the staring produce clerk, but I couldn't ignore the preppy soccer-dad type moving closer and closer to me. Finally, he says: "These are nice green beans, eh?" And something about the way, he was talking about the vegetables creeped me out. I looked down on him sternly (in heels I stood a good four inches taller than him) "They're fine" I said flatly. "I just love a long, slim.... bean." he leered eyeing my legs in a way that made my skin crawl. At this point, I simply sighed and walked off without a word. I just didn't have it in me. After I checked out I headed to the liquor store where a very nice gentleman opened the door for me then discussed my anatomy in not-so-low tones with the cashier for a good deal longer than I thought necessary while I very quickly grabbed two bottles of D's favorite wine. I checked out with merciful speed only to get in my car and see that both checkout clerks and the door-holding guy were staring appreciatively after me.

I swear it is hardly worth it to get dressed nicely. I couldn't handle that kind of attention all the time. And when D and I watched "The Apprentice" and that annoying Audrey was whining about how she wanted to scar her face as a child because people hated her because she was so beautiful, I rolled my eyes... But for a moment, I got it. I mean, I'm not that striking by any means, but I'm a damn sexy woman. I get noticed because of my height, not so much at bars because everyone's dressed to kill there, but more in normal places. I guess what I'm saying is that I find it interesting, the things people will say to each other, or the impressions that the get because they think you're a certain way.

But the best comment I got all night was: "Damn girl, your tits are kick-ass". Put a smile on my face so big I couldn't wipe it off for at least ten seconds. But by then my mouth was being kissed and hands were sliding up under the skirt. Now that's the reaction I'd hoped for. It isn't sexual harassment when it’s your boyfriend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home