
It's time to do the one thing I've really dreaded for the past three years... Declaw the cats. I've wavered back and forth against it for so long, now if we ever want to have nice furniture we have to do it. My vet assures me that they'll be fine in a week or so. I guess I just feel guilty. Soooo guilty. They've both been staring at the carriers like they carry the plague. I don't blame them. In some ways I'm glad humans and animals can't communicate clearly, they'd be so upset if they knew what was about to happen.


5 Comments:
I dont blame them Im suprised its still allowed - its pretty cruel to cut the tops of their toes off.. ranks along with lobbing off dog tails in my book. Good job people dont cut kids hands off when they draw on the walls! Sorry for being disagreeable but Im a big animal lover.
I'm a huge animal lover as well, and although I put caps, which you can get here www.softpaws.com, on my cats paws, I can see where it is necessary. In my opinion I believe that is better than kicking the cat outside to fend for its self, which happens a lot. If it is the only way for people and cats to cohabitat i'm for it, but tell your vet to give you some pain meds for them and ask that they get a pain shot after. When I worked at the vet we always did a pain shot after and they recovered much better.
They have the extra pain meds, and we had the declaw done the most humane way possible, I paid extra. They're actually doing great! Both of them are happy to be home, and aren't acting weird at all.
I've been against declawing for a long, long time. However, the two of them have two sets of furniture. I want them to be with me for a long time... Unfortunately, since I still rent, most places here require cats to be declawed and spayed before they'll allow cats. They also require "pet interviews" to check that those things have happened. I can't afford to buy a house right now, just so they don't have to be declawed. They're animals.. Not kids.
Also, Brandy, I tried the caps on mine first, I didn't just jump to this... They chewed them off eventually. Mine are stubborn little brats. We also did the one where they cut the tendons instead of ripping out the first section of their joints. My vet assured me it's less painful, and that it's pretty much the same as the laser method. Honestly, they're acting great. Thanks for telling me about the extra pain shot, I think that really helped.
I'm glad they are doing fine. Did they tell you to use paper litter or paper based litter for a week or so. Give it a week or so and neither one of you will notice. Well actually you will b/c your furniture will still be in tack.
Im just of the opinion that when you bring animals into your home you arrange the home around them.. not them around the home. I know cats trash furniture but thats because its natural for them to stretch and scratch things.
Post a Comment
<< Home