I forgot to tell you in my last post that I annoyed myself tonight. We were out to dinner with a couple we don't know very well. They asked us what we like to do "for fun." D and I both laughed.
Then D said; "Fun? Do we even have fun anymore?"
I said, "We're mostly too busy to have a lot of fun, mostly when we're not busy we just want to relax, what do you guys do?"
I was genuinely interested, as it seems like D and I watch a lot of movies, read, have cocktails, and talk a whole hell of a lot... And have sex. We do a lot of that lately, but it doesn't seem like we ever do anything that causes me to think "When we have FUN we're doing _________"
She says, "We're really busy too" (they are, they both work 60-80 hour weeks and she's in school) "We watch a lot of TV"
And out of my mouth comes flying the most pretentious sounding bullshit I've ever heard, though every word of it is absolutely true....
"We elected not to have TV"
Him: "On purpose?"
Me: "Yes, it's something we decided"
Her: "That's interesting."
Me: "Yeah, we decided to do it so we'd get more done."
Him: "I guess I can see that."
Here comes the yucky part...
Me: "Yeah, it's really made our relationship better. We talk to each other a lot. If we're watching something it's something we picked out, not just mindlessly watching crap. D does a lot better in school and work... And I read 10 books last month."
D: "We cook a lot together... And listen to each other's music. Etoile bought me an awesome MP3 player for Christmas."
Them: Staring at us blankly thinking, "Pretentious assholes."
I totally don't blame them. What's worse is that on the way home D and I recognized this, and agreed that it makes us both feel good. Also, that we've always hated those people who "don't have TV." Now we're those people. Thought it's hard, our cable company accidentally gave us cable... There are days when we argue about hooking it up and just watching an hour of TV. But we never do.
I'm not saying we'll never have TV again. It's just made our lives so much better thus far. We're so busy as it is that I simply can't imagine how much time I'd waste lost in TV. I went to my mom's last week and just soaked up TV for two days. At the end of it I felt a little sick. I realized that I have a problem with TV.
Is there rehab for that? Or do you just have to go cold turkey?
Then D said; "Fun? Do we even have fun anymore?"
I said, "We're mostly too busy to have a lot of fun, mostly when we're not busy we just want to relax, what do you guys do?"
I was genuinely interested, as it seems like D and I watch a lot of movies, read, have cocktails, and talk a whole hell of a lot... And have sex. We do a lot of that lately, but it doesn't seem like we ever do anything that causes me to think "When we have FUN we're doing _________"
She says, "We're really busy too" (they are, they both work 60-80 hour weeks and she's in school) "We watch a lot of TV"
And out of my mouth comes flying the most pretentious sounding bullshit I've ever heard, though every word of it is absolutely true....
"We elected not to have TV"
Him: "On purpose?"
Me: "Yes, it's something we decided"
Her: "That's interesting."
Me: "Yeah, we decided to do it so we'd get more done."
Him: "I guess I can see that."
Here comes the yucky part...
Me: "Yeah, it's really made our relationship better. We talk to each other a lot. If we're watching something it's something we picked out, not just mindlessly watching crap. D does a lot better in school and work... And I read 10 books last month."
D: "We cook a lot together... And listen to each other's music. Etoile bought me an awesome MP3 player for Christmas."
Them: Staring at us blankly thinking, "Pretentious assholes."
I totally don't blame them. What's worse is that on the way home D and I recognized this, and agreed that it makes us both feel good. Also, that we've always hated those people who "don't have TV." Now we're those people. Thought it's hard, our cable company accidentally gave us cable... There are days when we argue about hooking it up and just watching an hour of TV. But we never do.
I'm not saying we'll never have TV again. It's just made our lives so much better thus far. We're so busy as it is that I simply can't imagine how much time I'd waste lost in TV. I went to my mom's last week and just soaked up TV for two days. At the end of it I felt a little sick. I realized that I have a problem with TV.
Is there rehab for that? Or do you just have to go cold turkey?


2 Comments:
I could not live without
battlestar gallactica at
the moment.
But I am the only girl
in a house of men/boys
so it's rare that I get
near a tv!
I've never been a big one on tv because I've always been the fidgety type who can't sit still long enough to actually watch it. I have 3 programs that I either record to watch later or sit and watch when they are on simply because watching a little bit of tv keeps me sociable with those avid tv-a-holics at work. I used to be out of their conversations when I didn't watch tv!
I never put the tv on for the sake of having it on though - thats Youngster and C's forté.
I don't think you sounded pretentious though.
Post a Comment
<< Home