January 12, 2006

D almost died today.**

Seriously. Because I almost killed him.

I have gotten SOOOOOO much better at not bitching at him about the cleaning, but I swear I almost lost my shit when I walked into the house an hour ago. Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

D decided when I told him that BQ was coming down tonight that we should make a night of it and have J over to play Scrabble. I thought that was a fine, laid back kind of idea. I've been inching closer to having the house completely sanitized and picked up, so I thought there would be little stress on my end. I had a very important appointment this afternoon to go to, and when I left the house there wasn't much going on in the way of mess, maybe twenty minutes of clean-up time pre-socialness. Socialness is a word if I say it is.

Pause


I have to include a note here about the ferrets, who I love dearly, but tend to poo all over the floor when they are out. My Christmas ferret (whose name is Artos and is adorable as pie) is a baby and we decided to review litter box training with the other two along with him. So there have been litter boxes everywhere, which confuses the kitties, because D never remembers to put the lids on the little boxes and put them away after the ferrets get put away. That was a long note, but vital in understanding what happens next.

So, I'm out and about, had my appointment, am on my way home when I get a call from D who is at work. He wants to know if I could possibly MAKE dinner tonight, instead of ordering in, which I had planned. Sweetly, since he's had to eat a fair amount of fast-food lately, I said yes. I said yes, even though it meant going to the grocery store at my least favorite, screaming children-ish, time of day. Because I love him that much. I also stopped at the wine shop to get a few bottles of wine to go with dinner - which by the way I have started drinking already... The grocery store was terrible. I'm not going to even go into that, because I think "why I hate the grocery store at 4 PM" is a totally different post. Just trust me that it wasn't fun, and that I was relieved to be home.

Until

I opened my front door. I was greeted by a blast of hot air that felt like someone was blowing a giant hair dryer at my body. I almost tripped over one of the little litter boxes, then slid on the litter that had been kicked onto the hardwood by a confused kitty. I nearly dropped the groceries and the five bottles of wine, and to boot Isis (black kitty) got out. Once I got her herded back into the apartment I turned off the heat, which was on it's highest setting for some strange reason. This is an issue because our utility company just hiked it's rates, why was the heat on so high if NOBODY HAD BEEN HOME IN OVER SIX HOURS? Then I looked around. There was litter all over the hallway. The wrapping for D's new scuba gear was strewn across the living room, in addition to several items he got for Christmas. Sweatshirts and jackets of his were everywhere. The trash I asked him to take out this morning was still sitting by the front door, and nothing in the guest bedroom had been picked up... LIKE I ASKED NICELY TO BE DONE THIS MORNING.

I just started to cry. Why can't my boyfriend clean up even a LITTLE when he knows we're having people over??? WHY?

Then I entered the kitchen where he hadn't emptied the dishwasher (his job) even though I loaded it for him last night (not my job) because he was so tired. Nothing I need to make dinner was clean.

So I called him, and in a very calm voice asked about only the trash and the heat. I was given some lame excuses about time and not knowing. Then (calmly) I said that I was a little frustrated because he's asked me to make dinner and clean up before we have people over and he definitely won't be home in time to help with any of it... And he's left me such a damn mess.



Anyway, I kept my cool for the most part, and did clean everything up after we got off the phone. I feel better now that I have bitched in black and white, to you, who probably puts away your laundry and doesn't leave food stuck to the plates. I just want to have a nice time tonight. Also, I'm ready for another glass of wine. Please people, you didn't think I was going to be nice without one, did you?


Really, the whole thing is a little funny. If irresponsibility makes you laugh your head off. Which it doesn't for me, but if it does for you, fine.



** I am less upset about the events of yesterday's frustrations, for those who like updates on my emotional status.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rainex said...

And he will never know
how close he came to
death! Can you really
litter train ferrets?

1:54 pm  
Blogger Etoile Tyler said...

Amazingly, you can train ferrets to do practically anything if you're willing to work with them. You have to be really, really patient though. They're like perpetual kittens.

2:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home