Dear God!
I haven't said much about God lately.
I wonder sometimes why we (humans) all have religions that claim that our way is right to the exclusion of the others. We all believe such similiar things. Why is it that the Christian God must exclude the Hindu Gods? Or that the Muslim God must exclude the Christian God? Isn't it possible that we all do good in the service of one God that loves us all? I'm sure many of you will tell me "no." That's fine, I'm not asking you to agree with me, just to think about it.
I've been reading lots of blogs that insist that their God is the right one. That the rest of us are going to hell because we don't believe in their God. Pat Robertson says weekly that someone who doesn't believe in his God is going to hell. It's funny, because Osama Bin Laden believes the same thing. That's right, Pat and Osama, more alike than either would probably like to admit. And that's what scares me.
God is not about hate. It isn't that God shouldn't be about hate. It's that if I know one thing about God it's that s/he is not ok with us using him/her to find reasons to hate each other.
I'm not claiming to know everything about religion, though I have read a great deal. Reading has expanded my mind, but hasn't helped me choose a religion. In fact, it's helped me NOT choose one. But that doesn't mean that I've denied myself a relationship with God, just because I can't find a box to put him/her in. I have a relationship with God that I've been working on for some time now. I talk with God a lot. My conversations with him/her are very rewarding. What I have gained is a space of peace that has nothing to do with telling someone else they're doing it wrong. It's just between me and God.
**I'm about to say something controversial now... Let's don't get angry.
I'm not affiliated with any religion for the sole/soul reason that I will not deny anyone God. God IS for everyone. Not just your God, but everyone's God. However, that is a personal choice. That's what religion is meant to be, PERSONAL. It is NOT a political vehicle, and anyone who can pick up a damn book can find that most of the world's major religions have been, and are now, being used as corrupt political vehicles in one way or another. How dare any of us think that by using God as our political vessel that we make God proud. Let me ask you something, when was the last time that you asked God how s/he feels? Seriously, ask, ask God how it makes him/her feel that we support leaders that use him/her so. Then look for his/her answers everywhere, even if it isn't what you want to hear or see.
But see, here I am with all my good intentions and love, telling you that your way might be wrong. It's not that I think your way is wrong and mine is right, it's just the part of your way that says that my way just bought me a ticket to eternal damnation that makes me a little irked. Everything else about your way is great for you. Have it, hold it, love it. But what will you do if my way is right? Except I don't believe that it is, it's just right for me. As of yet God hasn't helped me to understand otherwise. I'm willing to give it time. But I've been asking for years, and the answers I've received tell me to stay put, that I'm doing ok here.
I haven't said much about God lately.
I wonder sometimes why we (humans) all have religions that claim that our way is right to the exclusion of the others. We all believe such similiar things. Why is it that the Christian God must exclude the Hindu Gods? Or that the Muslim God must exclude the Christian God? Isn't it possible that we all do good in the service of one God that loves us all? I'm sure many of you will tell me "no." That's fine, I'm not asking you to agree with me, just to think about it.
I've been reading lots of blogs that insist that their God is the right one. That the rest of us are going to hell because we don't believe in their God. Pat Robertson says weekly that someone who doesn't believe in his God is going to hell. It's funny, because Osama Bin Laden believes the same thing. That's right, Pat and Osama, more alike than either would probably like to admit. And that's what scares me.
God is not about hate. It isn't that God shouldn't be about hate. It's that if I know one thing about God it's that s/he is not ok with us using him/her to find reasons to hate each other.
I'm not claiming to know everything about religion, though I have read a great deal. Reading has expanded my mind, but hasn't helped me choose a religion. In fact, it's helped me NOT choose one. But that doesn't mean that I've denied myself a relationship with God, just because I can't find a box to put him/her in. I have a relationship with God that I've been working on for some time now. I talk with God a lot. My conversations with him/her are very rewarding. What I have gained is a space of peace that has nothing to do with telling someone else they're doing it wrong. It's just between me and God.
**I'm about to say something controversial now... Let's don't get angry.
I'm not affiliated with any religion for the sole/soul reason that I will not deny anyone God. God IS for everyone. Not just your God, but everyone's God. However, that is a personal choice. That's what religion is meant to be, PERSONAL. It is NOT a political vehicle, and anyone who can pick up a damn book can find that most of the world's major religions have been, and are now, being used as corrupt political vehicles in one way or another. How dare any of us think that by using God as our political vessel that we make God proud. Let me ask you something, when was the last time that you asked God how s/he feels? Seriously, ask, ask God how it makes him/her feel that we support leaders that use him/her so. Then look for his/her answers everywhere, even if it isn't what you want to hear or see.
But see, here I am with all my good intentions and love, telling you that your way might be wrong. It's not that I think your way is wrong and mine is right, it's just the part of your way that says that my way just bought me a ticket to eternal damnation that makes me a little irked. Everything else about your way is great for you. Have it, hold it, love it. But what will you do if my way is right? Except I don't believe that it is, it's just right for me. As of yet God hasn't helped me to understand otherwise. I'm willing to give it time. But I've been asking for years, and the answers I've received tell me to stay put, that I'm doing ok here.


8 Comments:
Belief is personal-intimate.
The truth is no matter what
you profess to believe in to
the world, only you know in
your heart what is true to you.
I don't trust any of these
bastards that shout and scream
from the rooftops their love
of God, when they advocate
hate and violence in His name.
(Very deep for a cold tuesday
morning!)
The answers you are searching for are in the Bible, it is the instruction booklet to life, sometimes we don't like what it says and we choose to ignore it but non the less it's all written down for us to follow.
My mom just asked me this question tonite, and I was finally able to explain it in a way she understands. When you have faith in something, you believe it to be true. If I believe the God of the Bible to be true, then I can't say, but maybe Muslims are right, because then I wouldn't have faith. Just like Jews have faith in their God and Muslims, I'm willing to take the risk that I'm wrong.
Butterfly Girl.. this is precisely what this post has been about! Just because you believe the bible to be your answer doesnt mean its THE answer. If it was THE answer then we'd all be following it without question but there are too many holes and flaws in that plan.
Like anything else Its about choosing whats right for you personally.
All religions are used far too much to condone war/death and wrong doing and even those religious people who sit there saying 'well those arent truely religious people' are two facedly sitting there having affairs and doing plenty wrong themselves! Theres no such thing as a completely pure person but then the religious folks believe that god will forgive when they fuck up. The whole thing is a farce and only sheep follow. Live like theres no tomorrow and regret nothing. THATS the way
my god has a huge collection of planets
If it's what the post is all about then why get all ralled up. Just expressing what I know to be the truth, just as you all are doing. My God, in my opinion THE God does not condone repeated screw ups without consequences. I never said I was perfect as a matter of fact no one is all humans are sinful by nature. I don't believe that by beliving in the God of the Bible that I am anymore of a "sheep" as you say than you are for not believing. If the Bible is not for you don't read it. One day we will all know the answer to this big question Is there really only one God? Call me a follower, but I don't want to be left out of that one.
"Sinful by nature."
No honey-hard practice.
Try not to be so
judgemental of your fellow
man/woman. Benefit of the
doubt goes a long way,
believe people to be
sinful and they will be.
Ah my little arguers... I serenely greet you.
Butterfly, the answers I seek are not in the Bible, the Bible is twisted beyond recognition of its original text. I've read it. Many times. The answers aren't there.
Princess, I'm glad you have faith in something. I'm sorry you feel that you're taking a risk with God. I'm sure s/he wouldn't want you to feel that way.
fatrobot, you blasphemous fool. Your god has an ENORMOUS collections of planets, strange he didn't strike you down for your mistake.
ML, Raine-pie, Thanks for getting what I was trying to say.
Post a Comment
<< Home